Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Politics of Divisiveness


I was listening to the radio on my way home from work.  It seems that more and more people are talking about how divisive politics has become.  The subject of the Constitution came up and the radio hosts were speculating that the Constitution never would have been written if the politicians back then were like those of current day.  Even Chuck Todd from NBC has pointed out how Republicans lie to spin their web. 

What I find even more odd is that the Republicans I know personally don't feel the way our politicians do.  Of course the republicans I know aren't the filthy rich, but they don't have any problem with the current tax rate.  And it boggles my mind that Republican politicians want to help the rich by cutting their taxes.  The rich don't pay much in taxes because they have so many write offs and donations.  Well, what do you expect someone who has too much money to do with their excessive funds. Oh, I know, how bout donating it to your favorite charity?  Just enough to bring your tax rate down to about 14% ;) Those that live paycheck to paycheck can't afford to donate enough to any charity to offset the taxes they have to pay.  

Instead of giving corporations a huge tax break for whatever they can get, what if we put a flat tax on these companies? JPMorgan chase can afford to bet and lose $2-9 billion in the stock market.  What if each corporation the size of chase donates $2bil to the national debt?  Well, it's not the be-all and end-all solution, but it's a start.  Someone else can come up with the next idea.  Put all of our ideas together, and it gets us closer to building the right solution.  Everyone working for the greater good.  

I have a dream, which might be a lot like Martin Luther King's.  I have a dream that all people will be treated equal.  Period.  Everyone is equal.  It's not my place to judge you, so I won't.  As long as you aren't killing, stealing or abusing others, then I won't judge you.  If Gd doesn't like what you are doing, you can deal with that when you get to the pearly gates.  And just be nice.  It's not hard to have a smile on your face when you talk to someone.  Be respectful, help your fellow man.  Doesn't matter if they live around the corner or across the country.  We can help our neighbors put wood over their windows when a hurricane threatens.  We can donate money when a tsunami or hurricane hits near or far.   But what about the homeless guy around the corner?  Not in my backyard!!  ::sigh::  This country is like facebook stock.  We've got no place to go but down.  Oh, but wait, with facebook stock I'll have capital losses to claim on my tax return.  Mark me down for that 14% tax rate :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.